Mover’s Insurance

You’re preparing to move. You’ve got the furniture and boxes ready to go, and the movers on the way. But can you protect your valuables? Moving insurance can help!

All professional movers are required to offer basic carrier liability insurance – but that limits coverage to 60 cents per pound, which means you’ll get some money for any damage, but it will likely fall short of replacing damaged goods. A second option is a declared value policy. It costs more, but it allows you to decide the coverage amount. The most comprehensive is full replacement value insurance, which is good for high-value items. You’ll be charged up to $4 per pound, but the coverage equals the cost of replacing the item. Knowing the value of what you’re moving will help determine the coverage you need.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: